Root vegetables bring comfort on these long winter nights. Sweet potatoes are one of our favorites. They are loaded with essential vitamins and nutrients — like beta-carotene, vitamin C, fiber, potassium — and are a yummy addition to any meal. Here is a quick, go-to recipe sure to satisfy winter appetites.
Stacy’s Simple Sweet Potato Fries
Like most anyone, I love french fries, but try to cook a little healthier when I’m home. Enter these sweet and savory baked sweet potato fries. They’re not only quick and easy to make, but sure to satisfy your craving for french fries without running to the drive-thru.
– Medium-sized sweet potatoes (I plan on one per person)
– Olive oil
– Seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin
1) Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2) Cut ends off potatoes. Peel the potatoes, stab each one with a fork a couple times, and microwave on high for a minute or so (this helps to soften them, so they become easier to cut. You may need to microwave for more than a minute if you have 3+ sweet potatoes).
3) Cut sweet potatoes into french fries.
4) In a bowl, toss sweet potato fries with olive oil and seasonings. Honestly, I just eyeball the amounts for everything. You want the potatoes to glisten, but not look wet, so as to avoid soggy fries.
note: I’m a fan of cumin on my sweet potato fries, but it’s certainly not necessary. Feel free to experiment with your favorite spices!
5) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, which prevents the sweet potatoes from sticking to the baking sheet and also allows for a quick clean-up. Be careful not to crowd the pan.
6) Bake for approximately 12 minutes. Flip fries over and bake for another 10 or so minutes. Depending on ovens, time may vary. Fries are finished when they begin to brown and feel crispy to the touch.
Stacy is our resident co-designer and photographer and enjoys cooking in her spare time.
Now it’s your turn! Comment below with your favorite winter go-to recipes, and we will pass them along to our readers. We love to hear from you!
Shop our entire collection of greeting cards and Art Prints.